Friday, October 7, 2016

References found in the current IDW ROM Spaceknight series (part 2)

Part 2 of me showing screenshots from movies or other comics that I feel have been referenced or homaged in the latest ROM series by IDW.

Predator:

In this panel from ROM issue #3, a Dire Wraith is shown camouflaged in a similar way as one my other favorite aliens, the Predator. I don't know if this is done by technology or through telepathy by the Dire Wraiths, but the effect is still very much like the Predator cloak. 


Evil Dead:











One of my favorite movies is Evil Dead 2 and I couldn't help but notice the similarity to Evil Dead's possessed trees reference in the new ROM series. The Dire Wraith possessed trees grab ROM is a similar fashion as the possessed trees had *ahem* grabbed female victims in Evil Dead.


Battlestar Galactica:

 
In the panel above from Revolution issue #1, ROM is drawn in such a way that looks almost exactly like the new Cylons from the more modern Battlestar Galactica series. Not much else to say as it looks fairly obvious to me from the above images.


Invasion of the Body Snatchers:












The comic panel above doesn't visually show how the new ROM series references Invasion of the Body Snatcher, but it does through the context of the story. The Dire Wraiths can mimic humans to the point that other humans can't detect or tell the difference.


Hellboy:

















Another of my favorite movies/comic characters is Hellboy, and I felt that the human to Dire Wraith mutation looked a lot like the Sammael creature from the Hellboy movie. Other than the slight resemblance, there really isn't any more similarities between the two. That is the modus operandi of homages or reference though, isn't it?


The Guyver & Robocop (2014):





One of my guilty pleasure movies is The Guyver starring Mark Hamill. When I saw the supersuit being developed in the ROM Revolution one-shot and the enhanced abilities it gave the wearer, I immediately thought of the Guyver and how it's suit enhances it's wearer. I see that there is a little bit of resemblance to the newer Robocop movie's Robo suit, but I felt the Guyver and it's enhanced abilities fit as a better reference.


I Come In Peace (Dark Angel):


















Another Guilty pleasure movie of mine is the film 'I Come In Peace' starring Dolph Lundgren. The villain in the movie is an alien who comes to earth to suck out the adrenaline from humans because adrenaline is like a drug on his planet. I immediately saw the similarities when those cords came out of the Dire Wraiths hands in a similar fashion as the cord that comes out of the alien's gauntlet to suck out a human's adrenaline.

Please comment if you find additional references that you think I missed or if you agree or disagree with what references I found.


3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, ROM's friend. I am a bit surprised that someone was able to find my blog because for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get Google to notice this site.

      I've seen you comment on David Holsey's site (and so have I Anonymously), so I'm glad you found this site too.

      Delete
  2. I follow his site too, have been for a long time. Now that I have found you, I will be following you too.

    You had do some serious research for those movie references in the ROM comic. I appreciate it and look forwards to more.

    ReplyDelete