Sunday, September 17, 2017

Rom Spaceknight Issue #9 mini review


I received the above cover for issue #9 from my LCS, which was nice since it wasn't just the regular cover this time. This issue starts with the remainder of the fight between ROM and Orphion at the oceanic oil rig station. The Spaceknights lose focus on their main objective by squabbling with each other and a new enemy wraith called the Absence is able to get the drop on them while their focus is divided.

The Absence appears to be a formidable threat for the time being since the Spaceknights look to not be able to kill something that isn't there (hence the name 'Absence'). ROM shows why he is the titular hero that we like to follow causing Orphion to eventually change his focus to align more with ROM's.

We get a small update to Darby and Ruan, but the primary focus of this issue is on the Wraiths and the Spacenights which is refreshing. The issue ends with the hint of yet a greater wraith enemy called the Presence.

I really enjoyed the artwork by Paolo Villanelli too in this issue more than I had noticed before in previous issues. The black magic wraiths look particularly, pleasingly monsterous and the Spaceknights have a very aesthetic machine like shape to how they are drawn and I love it tremendously. The story continues to keep my interest making me want more as the issue concludes, so that has to be a good sign of great writing in my opinion.

Please comment with your thoughts on the ROM series so far and what variant covers you got or liked the most.

Grade: B+
 

No comments:

Post a Comment