Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Rom Spaceknight Issue #10 mini review


I received the above regular cover for issue #10, and while the artwork on the cover is OK, it has nothing to do with the story contained in this issue. This issue starts off with ROM taking Livia and Orphion to a strip mall in San Luis Obispo, CA because obviously, if you want to prove the worth of sparing humanity to hardened space warriors, you take them to an open mall in California (end sarcasm). This issue contains a lot of dialog with sprinkles of "progressive" preaching, and it proved to be a bit annoying to me.

Livia and Orphion mention more than once the futility of religion and that there is no God, and the human race is weaker because they put their trust in a religion that none of the visiting space knights buy into. To compound the lesson that this particular issue wants to teach us, the Dire Wraiths believe in a Deity of their own and do not fear death in pursuing their cause as result. To sum up the message, the 'Good' guys don't believe in a religion or in a God but the 'Bad' guys do. Also, if you didn't know already, you will learn that humans are diverse and maybe even 'enlightened' (???).

I know that I have not mentioned many specifics that occurred in the story in issue #10 to prove my observations, but I don't feel that I need to since the story is very dialog heavy and the imagery shown in the issue seemed too insignificant to describe. We do get a brief dialog heavy update to Darby and Ruan's story arc hinting at something that may give humans an advantage over the Wraiths, and we get to visit Deepwave Headquarters in Seattle, WA where Axiom gets to participate in the dialog fest going on in this issue too.

There is one 'action' scene at the very end of the story though that I felt included a small homage to the Ghostbusters, and the one hint I will give is 'don't cross the streams.' The regular ROM series has been pretty good up until this issue, so I left this issue feeling very disappointed as you can tell. It also bothers me to see the liberal/progressive propaganda that is prevalent at Marvel (which is tanking the comics industry as a whole) starting to creep into one of my favorite comic character's series, but since I am a completionist, I will stick it out until the end.

Please comment with your thoughts on the ROM series so far and what variant covers you got or liked the most.

Grade: C-
 

No comments:

Post a Comment