Saturday, February 11, 2017

ROM Spaceknight in IDW Revolution 4-5 Review


I am finally going to post my thoughts on the conclusion of IDW's Revolution mini series. The above cover variants are the ones that my local comic shop set aside for me which in actuality, they really aren't variants at all; they are the standard covers. My local comics shop, as usual, doesn't really make much of an effort to set aside the actual variants of any of IDW's series that I subscribe to in case they can make an extra buck by raising the price of the issue, but I shouldn't really complain, I am primarily interested in the stories anyway rather than the cover.

We get to see Snake Eyes sneak into Autobot city only to be discovered by the Micronauts  and eventually his cover is blown, or is it? All the main hero players other than M.A.S.K. are hastily allied, which I think contributes to the criticism that the Revolution mini series has received by other readers (for the record, I'm ok with it but I won't pretend it isn't a legitimate complaint). Speaking of M.A.S.K., we see Miles Mayhem collude with the Dire Wraiths as though there is some backstory to it that was never revealed before. I guess that is supposed to be a twist in the story, but it doesn't make a lot of sense for a team of heroes like M.A.S.K. to be so easily misled by the Dire Wraiths.

Issue 4 has what I guess is the payoff for the whole Revolution series when a large cadre of Wraiths are fighting against all the heroes involved in the mini series, and issue 4 ends with yet another surprise when Baron Karza uses Enerchange. With all the mayhem going on in Autobot city, G.I. Joe can't sit this one out and the we are shown a call to arms to build up the excitement for the concluding issue.

In issue 5, the main antagonist switches from the Giant Dire Wraith Caleb to the Dire Wraith Hybrid Baron Karza. M.A.S.K. enters the fray on the side of the Dire Wraiths but during the battle they switch to being one of the good guys. The space bridge is used to stop the Wraith Hybrid Karza, seemingly destroying the microverse, but I'm not so sure IDW would write themselves into a corner like that by robbing the Micronaut's franchise of their home universe. We shall see.

The Revolution mini series ends on a somewhat positive note with all the heroes moving on to their own respective series', much like the ending of the first Avengers movie. Was this mini series successful? I would say yes, but it wasn't perfect. I was liking the buildup but the end was a bit cliche. I am subscribing to the Revolutionaries series to see how the Hasbro combined universes continue (and because ROM will be in the first issue at least), and I will review that series here on this blog.

Please comment with your thoughts on the Revolution series and what variant covers you got or liked the most.


Issue #4 Grade: B-
Issue #5 Grade: B 


No comments:

Post a Comment