Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Rom Spaceknight Issue #4 review


My local comic shop set aside the above cover variant for ROM #4 and while I think the art is ok, it is not the cover that I was hoping for. There was a neat cover done by Al Milgrom that was an homage to a cover he did for Marvel's Iron Man issue #80 that I would have preferred, but since I care more about the story inside the comic and not the cover so much, I won't throw a fit over it. :)

In this issue my previous thoughts about what becomes a twist in the story are proven to be correct. Darby is fully aware of how deceptive the Dire Wraiths are, and what seemed to be a wedge growing between her and ROM turns out to not be the case. I am trying not to spoil too much here, but ROM shows off some new skills as well as some brutality we don't normally see towards the Dire Wraiths and in my opinion, the brutality is justified. The writers of this issue have turned Darby into a spokesperson for the negative side of war, but I don't think that applies when the war is against visitors from outer space who seek world domination through deception and murder.

By the end of the issue, I can see now how the storyline leads into the ROM revolution one-shot, so I still have the complaint of why the issues of the Revolution storyline were released before ROM #4. The obvious answer is to sell comics and to jump start the other franchises interacting with each other sooner, but from this ROM fans perspective, it is a little frustrating. I still enjoyed the end of the first four issues' story arc, and I feel the return of ROM to comics has been successful, but why can't they work out the release schedule better?

Please comment with your thoughts on the ROM series so far and what variant covers you got or liked the most.

Grade: B-
 

No comments:

Post a Comment