Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Rom Spaceknight Issue #6 review


I received the above regular cover for issue #6 from my LCS. This issue picks up right where the last issue left off where ROM has just realized that he is not the only spaceknight on earth. We are introduced to Livia and Orphion, spaceknights of the solstar order.

This issue's story continues the exciting story arc involving the new spaceknight arriving on earth, and without spoiling too much of the story, I will say that drama ensues as ROM tries to convince the new solstar order arrivals about the value of human life. Camilla Byers goes through a significant transformation, and at the end of the issue, we learn about Livia's and Orpion's capacity for mercy.

Sprinkle in some Wraith conspiracy and some G.I. Joe action, and the issue becomes a worthwhile read in my opinion. I hope ROM's popularity is still going strong overall because I don't see much interest continuing on either at my LCS or online, except for a very few specific websites. I hope I am wrong though.

Please comment with your thoughts on the ROM series so far and what variant covers you got or liked the most.

Grade: A-

3 comments:

  1. I noticed that the stories have improved and tackles issues of identity, tradition, duty and other deep concepts of perspective. I like it.

    I do notice that interest in the comic is low, it maybe because how different it is from other comics in that the main characters ore females who are not helpless and of color. It may be that the book isn't all about violence and fighting, but talks about the trauma of war, duty versus adaptation, ext.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment.

    I agree that the stories are well written and have still kept my interest. ROM may be portrayed as a bit weaker than his Marvel incarnation because of his extra amount of mercy, and I wouldn't mind if he became more Terminator like in his war with the Wraiths.

    I don't think that the low interest in ROM is because of the stronger female leads (nor that they are non white) and the lack of violence per se, but I do think the low interest is due to the title character being a almost generic "robot" that looks kind of like Iron Man.

    I love the ROM character (new and old) regardless of anyone's opinion and hope he stays around a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I have been slacking in my mini reviews for this Blog and I will get up to date soon. I have all the issues so far (including Revolutionaries) and I will be reading the ROM vs. Transformers and First Strike series too.

    ReplyDelete